Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pinche Taqueria


227 Mott St. & 333 Lafayette St.

I don't want to get ahead of myself with the Mexican thing, because we still haven't been to Cascabel Taqueria and they have some seriously special sounding oyster mushroom tacos waiting for me there. But since two nights ago I started eating fish again (for the first time in over 5 years!) I've got fish tacos on the brain and I'm looking for the best ones in New York City. On Thursday I sampled those at La Esquina, on Lafayette and Kenmare. Those were utterly delicious, but these sound pretty amazing too: fried tilapia served on a soft tortilla with cabbage, onions, cilantro, cilantro sauce, and guacamole.

Also, Eric Ripert writes in a 2008 review: "When we entered they were playing Mariachi music; it was charming. Mini coronas."

Join me as I savor my return to the sea.


3 comments:

  1. Helen--you went to La Esquina? Yeah, I've been to there. But I don't think people like you and me go to there. Whoever took the picture of those tacos deserves a medal. You've got one of those, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I love mini coronas. Mostly because one father's day I dragged UB to play mini golf with me and we got a bucket of them. I might have just liked the bucket.

    ReplyDelete